Effective since 1 of January 2015.
The the Finance Act (23 December 2014) brings the place of supply to Ireland on services when the
customer is non-taxable person established or domiciled in Ireland, the supplier is outside the EU and
the service is effectively used and enjoyed in Ireland.
VAT Standard rate
VAT Reduced rates
13,5% books, accommodation
VAT calculation peculiarity
The VAT return must be completed in EURO irrespective of what currency was applied when making the
supply. If you use a currency other than EURO when making supplies, the exchange rate that must be
used is the European Central Bank rate applicable on the last day of the calendar quarter to which the
return relates. That exchange rate must also be applied where any amendments are made to the
However, if, during the calendar quarter, for commercial accounting or other business reasons, you
convert the foreign currency into EURO using an agreed daily or other periodic rate and you record
these EURO amounts in your business accounts, you may use these figures to complete your quarterly
An annual EUR 10 000 turnover threshold up to which the place of supply of relevant supplies of cross-
border TBE services remain in the Member State where the supplier is established.
This threshold is only applicable if a supplier is established within the EU.
Pieces of evidence
To identify customer location merchant has to collect at least two items on non-contradictory evidence.
And if two of them are in Ireland, the customer may be determined as Ireland:
- customer’s permanent address
- billing address (bank or electronic payment operator)
- IP address
- telephone number
- the location of the customer’s fixed land line through which the service is supplied to him;
- other commercially relevant information
A digital product is any product that’s stored, delivered, and used in an electronic format. These are
goods or services that the customer receives via email, by downloading them from the Internet, or
through logging into a website, in particular:
- e-books, images, movies, and videos, whether buying a copy from Shopify or using a service like Netflix. In tax language, these products are in a category usually called, «Audio, visual, or audio-visual products»
- downloadable and streaming music, whether buying an MP3 or using a service like Sound Cloud or Spotify. Of course, these products also fall in the audio category
- cloud-based software and as-a-Service products, such as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS), and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
- websites, site hosting services, and internet service providers
- online ads and affiliate marketing
- online auctions
VAT registration is effective from a date agreed to by your local tax district and you, after your
completed application has been received by Tax Authority. The effective date will not be earlier than the
beginning of the taxable period during which the application was made.
1. Applicants whose business is not established in the State should submit a paper version of the
- TR1(FT) registration form for individuals
- TR2(FT) registration form for limited companies
2. As a general rule, the following documents will be requested but depending on the individual
company and its activity there may be follow up questions or requests for additional documents:
- сopy of the extract from the national trade register in your country (less than 3 months old);
- a scan of the original articles of association - Uncertified free translation of the articles of association into French;
- document which serves as proof of your companies bank account details abroad.
A company must retain the following information:
- the Member State of consumption to which the services are supplied
- the type of services supplied
- the date of the supply
- any subsequent increase or reduction of the taxable amount
- the Value-Added Tax (VAT) rates applied
- the amount of VAT payable indicating the currency used
- the date and amount of payments received
- any payments on account received before the supply of the service
- where an invoice is issued, the information contained on the invoice
- names of the customer, where known
- the information used to determine the place where the customer is established has his or her permanent address or usually resides.
The information must be recorded in such a way that it can quickly and easily be made available by
electronic means. The records must be retained for a period of ten years from the end of the year in
which the supply was made.
VAT payment date
Quarterly VAT for a non-resident company is due on the 20th of the month following the period.
Filing VAT returns
VAT returns are due quarterly. At the end of each quarter, you have 20 days to file and pay whatever
- 20 April, for the first quarter ending 31 March
- 20 July, for the second quarter ending 30 June
- 20 October, for the third quarter ending 30 September
- 20 January, for the fourth quarter ending 31 December